Fall is here and I could squeal of joy. I don’t know about you, but I am squeezing in all the adventures I can before the winter rain and snow sneaks up on me. This past week, Drew’s brother, Collin, and his now fiancé (!!!! Also one of my best friends !!!!) came to town and off to the mountains we went. After Collin got down on one knee and popped the question, the first thing we did was share a meal together. As we broke bread and sipped on hot chocolate, I realized something very, very important. A mountain-packed day should always include food. Why? Well, not only does hiking make you hungry, but also there is something remarkable about being tucked away between the pine and sitting down for a meal. The sound of nature (think waterfalls, birds, wind rustling the trees) draws you near those you are with and creates a space for authentic conversation.
So, who wants to run away to the mountains and share a meal with those you love? Yeah, me too. To help you create a successful mountainside picnic I have created a list + links of picnic essentials. And if keep scrolling, you will find ideas of how to put a meal together as well.
10 Mountainside Picnic Essentials
3. Containers for food: obviously this is an important part of getting the food to the mountains! Most of the time we use our glass Tupperware, which you can buy here. If you are looking for a container to keep your food warm, we use our MiiR food canisters. And if you want something more lightweight, try these!
6. Picnic Bag or Basket: our picnic basket is from an antique store, but our picnic bag you can find here. It rocks, and gives back to those who make it.
7. Trash Bag: let’s keep nature the way we found it. As the park rangers always say, pack it out!
8. Friends: this is the most important part. People to gather with, laugh with and create joyful memories around a mountainside picnic with.
9. Accessories: pack up your favorite candle, succulents, tea towels, or even a vintage lantern. Creating a beautiful space adds to the fun of it all!
10. The Meal: no one wants to be hangry! Below are my three favorite picnic meals
3 Mountainside Picnic Meals
2. The Simple Meal: PB&J + almonds + apples + gouda cheese + carrots
3. The Hors D’oeuvres Meal: mixed nuts + fresh berries + baguette & butter + veggies & hummus + cheese & crackers + salad
Now it’s your turn friends! Plan your next adventure and have the best mountainside picnic ever.